Stop the silent killer.
You can help by participating in our 2017-18 Campaign
Host an awareness event.
This is a big one for us! In past years, firefighters have hosted events at dozens of fire stations across Indiana and beyond; many of them already host fire safety awareness events in early October, and have found it relatively easy to add on the CO awareness component. We’d love to get more firehouses involved this year, as well as schools, insurance agents, service groups, Realtors and more! Everyone can help us protect their communities. We have a checklist to help you make your event a success as well as a downloadable CO Event Toolkit that will give you all the promotional guides you need. We also have a limited number of free CO alarms for distribution — first come, first served.
Know your event date and time already? Click here to register your event with us.
Other ways to help:
- Watch our CO awareness video and share it with others on social media.
- Donate to our cause
- Post any of these social media updates
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to like, comment and share our posts during the campaign
Take the CO alarm vow
Promote CO Awareness and Save a Life
Save one life from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by purchasing a CO alarm for a friend, neighbor or family member. Ask the alarm recipient to "pay it forward" in an unbroken chain of life by purchasing a CO alarm for someone they love as well.
Here's Deauke Robbens in La Porte, Indiana describing the CO Alarm vow:
- Nominate someone to pay it forward by taking a video of yourself (like Deauke's) and naming your friend in the video. If video is beyond your technical abilities don't worry - the important part is taking the vow and following through.
- Share the video on social media and tag your friend.
- Purchased the CO alarm for your friend, online or in person within one week.
- Give the CO alarm to your friend and take a photo if possible.
- Share the photo with LOK via social media by posting on our Facebook page, tweeting to us, or just using the hashtag #LOKCO2017 anywhere you post.
Part of the Lindsey O’Brien Kesling Wishing Tree Foundation’s mission is to help prevent deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Knowing the symptoms and making carbon monoxide alarms more readily available to those who may not be able to afford them are a few of the ways we are working to spread awareness.
Each fall we host several carbon monoxide awareness events and are happy to make our downloadable kit available to others who are interested in hosting their own event. Besides these online materials, we have a limited number of banners and free CO alarms we will make available to select organizations. Please register using the button below to let us know you’re interested in hosting an event and we will contact you with the new, updated kit and details when available, on or around September 1, 2016.
Protect your home and those you love from carbon monoxide!
Install an alarm if you do not already own one. If you own one, replace it if is is more than 5-7 years old. Check the batteries to make sure it is operating properly. When in doubt, replace! Consider purchasing alarms for those who do not have one.