May 2013 marked the beginning of LOK Wishing Tree Foundation's newest partnership with the Lubeznik Center for the Arts (LCA) in Michigan City, Indiana. LCA is a dynamic, contemporary arts center whose mission is to creatively interweave art exhibitions, the performing arts, educational programming and collaborative community outreach in order to enrich the arts experience within the region.
Funding from LOK Wishing Tree Foundation has allowed LCA to offer a premier youth photography class as well as continued and enhanced after-school opportunities in art, music (including violin lessons) and dance programming.
The Lubeznik Center is host to the Annual LOK Wishing Tree Foundation Young Artist Expo. The first expo was held in 2014 and has become a well attended (standing room only!), high energy, family-friendly event. It is held on the first Friday in June in conjunction with the First Friday Uptown Arts District monthly event in Michigan City. The expo features the work of gifted students from the LCA partnership program as well as LOK’s other arts partners. The South Shore Dance Alliance will provide dance entertainment and students from the Bloomington Boys and Girls Club submits artwork to be be featured as well.
LCA is a place for great beginnings and where learning takes on new dimensions. LCA’s approach is defined by both learning and doing, providing inspiration to those who want to create as well as inspire appreciation for the arts. LCA does this through:
- Coordination and provision of after-school arts education to encourage school children's education achievement; and arts programming for individuals from regional social organizations with underserved populations who have limited resources for arts experiences;
- World-class exhibits of high quality work by international, nation and regional artists;
- Exceptional performance and interpretative programs structured to encourage art appreciation;
- Hands-on arts activities engaging children and adults in expanding their own creativity;
- Leadership in promoting arts as a catalyst for Michigan City's economic redevelopment.